Has anyone here watched Hyouka?

Blueotaku

Hikikomori
If yes, what did you think of it? I recently finished it and I loved it. It's funny, interesting and all of the characters are likeable. It has it's flaws, but they are massively outweighed by the positives. It's not a serious anime but I still think the mysteries are interesting and entertaining to see, mainly because the characters make it interesting. Eru Chitanda is my favourite character. She's so adorable!

Ki ni narimasu!

I've seen the first half and recently purchased a secondhand copy of the US Funimation Essentials Blu-ray Complete Collection, so when I have finished the entire series I will try to remember to let you know what I thought of it. I did think the animation was lovely and enjoyed how they could make things that weren't all that scary really feel quite unsettling somehow? I'm not a total Kyoani fangirl but I do tend to like their stuff more often than not so I'm keen to watch the rest soon :)

I first watched Hyouka a couple of years ago, and even wrote a Crunchyroll feature about it. Especially when you consider its age, Hyouka looks absolutely stunning. Easily among Kyoto Animation's best.

(Ibara is best girl btw).

Only started watching it very recently after seeing one of its English VA's (Jill Harris, who plays Mayaka Ibara) share a clip from the show of Mayaka berating and blaming Satoshi for having her outfit ruined. Thought that was hilarious so added to my to watch list. It has been a real surprise for me how excellent it is. A shame, however, that it's kinda out of print in the UK.

Would you believe that I still have as of yet to watch this wonderful looking anime! I’ve been meaning to do so for so long but still haven’t done so, lol! ^^

I finished it, it was a remarkably good series, and the visuals were on point. A clever thing that I dug about it was that it knowingly takes things that aren't actually all that sinister (mostly anyway) and elevates the suspense and creep factor through unnerving music and framing :)

I finished it, it was a remarkably good series, and the visuals were on point. A clever thing that I dug about it was that it knowingly takes things that aren't actually all that sinister (mostly anyway) and elevates the suspense and creep factor through unnerving music and framing :)

You can thank the wonderful Kyoto Animation for it’s animation & visuals ^^

You can thank the wonderful Kyoto Animation for it’s animation & visuals ^^

Yeah, agreed. I don't like every series they've made (Munto TV, Nurse Witch Komugi and Free were fairly mediocre IMO and I also didn't massively care for Beyond the Boundary though that wasn't as bad as those other ones just a touch too generic) but they're mostly pretty darn great :) I'm currently watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and I've got Tamako Market + Love Story lined up to watch soon, can't believe it took me this long to get around to properly watching Haruhi but I'm glad I am finally doing it :)

If you make it through Haruhi and enjoy it, make sure to give the movie sequel, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya a watch. Directed by the same dude as Hyouka (Yasuhiro Takemoto, who unfortunately passed away as a result of the arson attack), it's legit one of my favourite films of all time, not limited to just anime.

If you make it through Haruhi and enjoy it, make sure to give the movie sequel, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya a watch. Directed by the same dude as Hyouka (Yasuhiro Takemoto, who unfortunately passed away as a result of the arson attack), it's legit one of my favourite films of all time, not limited to just anime.

I didn't know Yasuhiro Takemoto had died that's rly sad 😢 I will definitely watch TDOHS even if I end up skipping most of the endless eight arc in season two, it looked fantastic in the trailer on the blu-ray :)

I wanted to like this show, since I enjoy a lot of KyoAni's series and could see that it was really well made, but I've watched half a dozen episodes and just can't get into it. It's too easy to guess the solution to a lot of the mysteries, and they feel overworked for how banal the answers end up being. For example, the absolute orgy of evidence that they needed to figure out that
someone was smoking at school
, and the deathly serious tone for mysteries that have nothing at stake, just isn't working for me. If it was lighter and more comedic, or if finding the solutions to the mysteries had some reason to matter, then I'd probably enjoy it more. For that reason, I thought the best episode out of the ones I've seen was the one that focused on the main girl's uncle, since that mystery had been bothering her for years and the related incident had a real impact on the uncle's life.

Do some actual stakes develop later on, or does it remain at the level of
"oh, it was just a yukata hanging in the window"
throughout?

Dai I totally get where you're coming from but weirdly that's part of why I liked it so much, the fact that they build such suspense around what could be considered inconsequential is an approach I haven't really seen before (not saying it's never been done before but I haven't seen it before myself). I also like the characters so that helps the show work for me a lot, I have now finished the series and I really really enjoyed it. It also made me think a bit about what makes something scary? Like it's a bit deconstructionist in it's approach IMO, albeit slyly, via the use of such suspenseful music and so on over light mystery fare :)

I can appreciate that. K-on used to drive me up the wall until it finally clicked for me this year, probably because 2020 has made me need anime comfort food. Maybe Hyouka will click for me a few years from now.

Back