Distributor Anime Limited and National Amusements have announced plans to bring MIRAI, the latest film from director Mamoru Hosoda, to the UK theatrical screens later this year.
Theatrical Dates & Details:
MIRAI (Mirai no Mirai) will be screened on Friday 2nd November 2018 in Japanese audio with English subtitles. The film is slated to hit Japanese theaters during this July. GKIDS have the North American rights, but at the time of this article’s writing there is currently no word on whether an English dub is being produced in time for the theatrical releases.
MIRAI was also the first anime feature-length film to be screened at the Cannes Film Festival.
The official cinema page for the film can be viewed here. Cinema screenings won’t be available until closer to release.
Plot Synopsis via AllTheAnime:
The birth of a sibling is a joyous time for many, but not for Kun. Four years old and spoilt rotten, he sees the arrival of baby sister Mirai as competition for his parents’ love. That is, until magical encounters with an older Mirai and family past, present and future send the siblings on an intimate journey through time and space, to confront Kun’s uncertain feelings and prepare him to become the big brother he needs to be.
Staff & Cast:
MIRAI is the third feature-length film animated by Studio Chizu after Wolf Children and The Boy and the Beast. Mamoru Hosoda returns as the director and this will be his 7th directed major film throughout his career. Hosoda will also be writing the screenplay. Masakatsu Takagi, who composed the previous two Studio Chizu films, returns to compose the music for MIRAI.
As mentioned before, MIRAI’s main theme is about ‘siblings’ between the four year old Kun and the sister Mirai. Hosoda revealed this during an interview with Variety a while back.
Other staff members who are part of the film’s production:
- Ayako Hata – Key Animator (The Boy and the Beast, Mai Mai Miracle)
- Hiroyuki Aoyama – Key Animator (The Boy and the Beast, The Wind Rises)
- Takashi Omori – Art Director (The Boy and the Beast, From Up on Poppy Hill)
- Yohei Takamatsu – Art Director (The Boy and the Beast, From Up on Poppy Hill)
- Yuichiro Saito – Producer (all Hosoda works since The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)
The cast for the film are as follows:
- Moka Kamishiraishi as Kun
- Haru Kuroki (The Case of Hana & Alice) as Mirai
- Gen Hoshino (The Night is Short, Walk on Girl) as Father
- Kumiko Aso (Miss Hokusai) as Mother
- Mitsuo Yoshihara as Mysterious man
- Yoshiko Miyazaki as Grandmother
- Kōji Yakusho (Astro Boy) as Grandfather
- Masaharu Fukuyama (Rurouni Kenshin live-action films) as Young man
MIRAI heads to UK cinemas on 2nd November 2018.