On 27th October, the South East’s biggest animation festival, the week-long Canterbury Anifest will open, giving animation enthusiasts the chance to attend workshops and talks centered around the animation industry. This year, the Canterbury Anifest will be screening a collection of some of Japan’s most iconic animated works from legendary directors such as Mamoru Oshii, Hayao Miyazaki, the late Satoshi Kon and more!
The event will open with a screening of short films submitted from across the world and will also feature a rare talk with Andy Frain, who is a founding member and the former CEO of Manga Entertainment, as well as an Executive Producer of Mamoru Oshii’s iconic Ghost in the Shell, as well talks from Japanese film specialist Jasper Sharp and the comic artist Sally Jane Thompson.
For anyone in the local area with an interest in some of the industry’s most critically acclaimed works, you don’t want to miss out on this opportunity!
The full list of film screenings is as follows:
- Canterbury Anifest Opening Night Short Film Screening (19:30 – 21:30)
- An Evening With Andy Frain (18:00 – 20:00)
- Ghost in the Shell (20:00 – 22:30)
- Barefoot Gen (19:00 – 20:45)
- Patema Inverted (18:15 – 20:30)
- Blood: The Last Vampire and Perfect Blue double bill (20:45 – 23:30)
- Kiki’s Delivery Service (10:30 – 12:30)
- Spirited Away (17:30 – 19:45)
- Akira (20:30 – 23:00)
- My Neighbour Totoro (17:00 – 19:30)
- Tekkonkinkreet (19:30 – 21:45)