The nominations for the 2020 Eisner Awards have been revealed. While mainly covering US comics, some manga titles have also been nominated. Voting is held online and closes midnight PST on 18th June, with the results announced next month. Write-in nominations are also allowed.
The main manga category is “Best U.S. Edition of International Material – Asia”, with five manga and one Korean manhwa up for consideration. The nominees are:
- BEASTARS, by Paru Itagaki, translation by Tomo Kimura (VIZ Media)
- Cats of the Louvre, by Taiyo Matsumoto, translation by Michael Arias (VIZ Media)
- Grass, by Keum Suk Gendry-Kim, translation by Janet Hong (Drawn & Quarterly)
- Magic Knight Rayearth 25th Anniversary Edition, by CLAMP, translation by Melissa Tanaka (Kodansha)
- The Poe Clan, by Moto Hagio, translation by Rachel Thorn (Fantagraphics)
- Witch Hat Atelier, by Kamome Shirahama, translation by Stephen Kohler (Kodansha)
The Way of the Househusband Vol. 1 is also nominated for “Best Humor Publication”, while My Solo Exchange Diary Vol. 2 is up for “Best Reality-Based Work”, and That Miyoko Asagaya Feeling is nominated for “Best Archival Collection/Project – Comic Books”.
Related nominees include Women’s Manga in Asia and Beyond: Uniting Different Cultures and Identites, edited by Fusami Ogi et al for “Best Academic/Scholarly Work”.